top of page
  • Writer's pictureAllan Warman


Major passage accomplished with ease, did we make a wrong turn to Hawaii and the dang bugs

The sunshine of the last week is a cherished memory and we arrive at a marina at Sullivan Bay for a few days to refuel and get supplies. We arrived to this scenic marina on June 27th from Laura Cove. The entire marina is floating – our dock was in 140’ of water! Cassie had skippered again all day from Laura and we had no problem finding a spot, although it filled up later. Spent a couple of days here doing projects. Allan had to climb the 56’ mast to assess the health of the VHF /AIS antenna. Antenna looked fine. Still no AIS transmitting but we are receiving.

Climbing the mast sucks. Allan does not like heights. Allan notes that Cassie has his life dangling at the end of her fingers but the line is strong and so is the first mate and her winch. A shocker of $10.60/gal to refuel our diesel here and the showers were $8.75/shower, but well worth it. Did laundry. (Cassie did laundry) Met many other boaters we had bumped into at Lagoon Cove and other places. Erik (Coug) and Ione on Changes in Latitude knew our friends the Jones’ from Bellingham – small world! Fred and Anne from Merlin arrived as did our friends Janet and Heather on Jamma. Coco is a hit with all the people and we delight in seeing them all again.

Our largest body of water to cross in the open ocean is around Cape Caution and we had such great conditions, we did the whole passage at once instead of two days. Long day, but worth it to get that done.

We enjoyed two nights in Pruth Bay, home of the Hakai Institute - a major research site funded by the Tula Foundation. It used to be a fishing lodge and the Institute grounds and docks are beautifully maintained and welcome visitors like us ashore so we floated the dinghy for hiking. They also provide a precious dollop of WiFi to guests like us looking for weather updates and connections. Things we take for granted at home: easy access to water, heat, fuel, food – and especially internet! We should have noted immediately that the Institute staff were wearing full bug netting and gone back to the boat for bug spray. The little black bugs were furious biters and the welts they left lasted for literally two weeks. Allan sported a bite inflamed to the size of a golf ball.

The three of us hiked to West Beach through a thicket of forest and arrived at what seemed like Maui. White sandy beaches and Coco has never been happier. Except for the saltwater she ingests when playing in the surf. But that’s a problem for later.

We met John, a scientist walking the beach, who is researching medicinal qualities of mud in Kisameet Bay . He invited us to anchor there so our next stop in that bay was a quiet place of just us. Despite John’s warning of a cougar living under the boardwalk, the intrepid WSU Cougar climbed ashore to check out the mud research station which he termed, primitive but interesting. We had a 4th of July picnic on this remote BC inlet with hot dogs on the BBQ and Cassie’s homemade apple/nectarine pie.

11 views0 comments


bottom of page